Useful quote:

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except the best. - Henry van Dyke, poet (1852-1933)

1 Aug 2016

Episode 17 - Polly

Thursday May  11th


Thanks to Gary Hurley’s newly-found attitude to Cleo’s way of doing things, Jack’s confession at HQ was dealt with quickly.  Jack would be charged for leaving the scene of what was now being referred to as an ‘accident’. That was not enough to keep him in custody. Cleo took Jack to the garage and sorted things out with Jack’s boss.
“He’ll be a witness at his father’s trial,” she told Mr Edwards, Jack’s boss. “But that won’t be for a few weeks.”
“Get to work, lad,” he told the young man, and Jack thanked Cleo for her help, promised to visit her very soon, and hurried off to the workshop behind the shop to work on an old Buick he was getting ready for sale.
“Yes, Mr Edwards, I’m on my way,” Jack shouted over his shoulder.
“He’s the son I never had,” said Mr Edwards.
“He’s the son I never had, too,” said Cleo.
“We used to have a filling station,” Mr Edwards explained. “But it wasn’t making a profit on this corner of the road. There was too much competition and it was costing me an arm and a leg to get sales-people day and night, so I closed it and I’m concentrating on revamping old cars, especially American ones, and selling them. We also do repairs, so we have plenty of trade and Jack can work on his lovely old cars when he’s not busy with customer wishes. Jack’s a good mechanic, Miss...”
 “Hartley.”
“It’s good to know someone else cares about Jack,” said the garage owner.
Cleo gave Mr Edwards a card, wondering if he was the Edwards on the banner “Edwards – your car expert”.
“Oh!” he said after looking at Cleo’s visiting card. “You are a private detective, are you?”
“Yes, Mr Edwards.”
Mr Edwards saw Cleo gazing at the sign over his shop. It was painted in ornamental gold paint and a far cry from the neon signs adorning all the other garages in the vicinity.
“That was my father, Miss Hartley. He got on fine with petrol in the old days. This was the only filling station for miles.”
“Times change, Mr Edwards,” said Cleo, “but you have a nice business here and I’m sure you’ll get our custom.”
“That would be nice,” said Edwards, smiling before his facial expression became solemn. “We have a problem with theft here,” he said. “Do you think you could help us catch the thieves? The police tried but didn’t get anywhere.”
“The Agency is here to help people who run out of ways of helping themselves, Mr Edwards,” said Cleo. “I’ll send my assistant, a Mr Peck, along tomorrow to get some details, and he will have a good idea how to protect your business and hopefully find out who is responsible for the thefts.”
“That would be wonderful. Thank you so much.”
***
Driving back to Upper Grumpsfield, Cleo pondered on the merit of spontaneous appeals for help. She also phoned Gary to thank him for being lenient on Jack, and to ask if he had done anything about Polly, the girl Mr Coppins ran away with.
“Coppins won’t say anything, Cleo. He’s waiting for his lawyer. Can you find out more about her without his assistance?”
“I should think so. I’ll go to the pub in Huddlecourt Minor and ask Molly. Polly was helping out there. I suppose that’s how she met Coppins.”
“Great. Let me know what you find out, though it’s no longer desperately important now Coppins is safely under lock and key.”
“Would you like to meet me there? Strictly above board because Robert delivers all their meat. I think you’ll enjoy talking to Molly and they do good food thanks to their wonderful chef.”
“That sounds like a good idea, Cleo. I know her slightly, but I’ve never talked with her. I’m not much of a pub crawler.”
“It could be important to know more about Polly otherwise I would not insist. We don’t know if she really wanted to go away with Coppins. If she didn’t, she was kidnapped and you have another charge you can bring against that evil guy.”
“I almost hope she was,” said Gary, who was getting ready to throw that proverbial book at Coppins and welcomed any additional material.
***
Just after eleven, Cleo parked outside the Huddle Inn and went in to talk to Molly.
“Well! Well! You have made yourself scarce, Miss Hartley.”
“I’ve been really busy, and it’s Cleo. Remember?”
“Sorry. I hear they’ve caught Coppins.”
 “Not before time, Molly.”
“Were you involved in that?”
***
Cleo wondered how much information Molly had at her fingertips, but this was not the reason she had called and she was determined to get on with her mission. Before she could do so, however, Molly took the initiative and Cleo was relieved of the chore of answering questions about Coppins and asking about Polly.
***
“I’ll tell you one bit of news, Cleo.”
“I’m dying to hear it, but wait till Gary Hurley gets here. I could use an espresso and Gary really needs to be in on things.”
“My instinct tells me that you are in love with that guy, Cleo.”
“Why would you think that?”
“You may have olive skin and not blush very obviously, but your eyes sparkled when you talked about him.”
“I’m married, Molly.”
“You can still be in love with someone else, and Robert is a bit of a bore,” said Molly. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone.”
“Have you ever met the man of your dreams, Molly?”
“He’s in the kitchen, Cleo, and he wants to marry me.”
“Wow! I hope it works out.”
“He’s too young for me.”
“No he isn’t, Molly.”
“Isn’t what?” said Gary, coming into the pub.
He went straight to Cleo and drew her into his arms.
“Gary. Robert delivers meat here. I don’t think we should make it difficult for Molly.”
“How would we do that?”
“He might ask questions.”
“My lips are sealed,” said Molly.
“Unseal them and tell this woman to get a divorce, Molly.”
“Go ahead, with what you were doing,” said Molly. “No one’s looking.”
***
It was still too early for the regulars and even Molly’s pub food lunch did not start until midday. Nevertheless, Molly was a little astonished at this demonstration of affection that Cleo did nothing to quell.
“As I said, I won’t tell anyone, Cleo, but that was pure Hollywood!”
“I’m Gary,” said Gary gratuitously, offering Molly his hand. He took hers, raised it to his lips and kissed it, looking at Molly in such a way that she went weak at the knees.
Now it was Cleo’s turn to be a little astonished.
“Charmed,” said Gary.
“Me too,” replied Molly and leant confidentially over the counter.
***
Quite apart from unashamedly making up to Gary, Molly considered what she was about to tell extremely surprising and dramatic. She was glad that Gary was the kind of man who would listen carefully. He was really nice, she thought, and was happy for Cleo. She liked Robert and would flirt with him intensively knowing that Cleo had now met the man who could make her happier than that dreary if kindly family butcher. Molly did not need to put two and two together to know that Gary was a great lover. On the other hand, Molly was shrewd enough to want more than one iron in the fire. She did not quite believe in Ali’s declaration of eternal love and she thought she could probably liven Robert up.
***
“Polly is back at home,” she announced.
“Awesome!” said Cleo, wondering what kind of a struggle the girl had had to get back to Huddlecourt Minor.
 “Isn’t that what you came to find out, you two?” Molly asked.
 “I want to talk to her, Molly. I thought you might know where she is.”
“You’re in luck,” said Molly. “Polly should be here in about fifteen minutes. She phoned last night. She wants her old job back.”
“Are you going to give it to her?”
“I can’t see why not. She deserves a second chance. I don’t think the last three years can have been very happy ones for her.”
“Let’s wait for her,” said Cleo.
Gary could not help thinking ‘she’s done it again’, but he was impressed and quite glad that he would not have to search for Coppins’ victim, which was how he interpreted the girl’s stance.
“It was quite fun being a Molly and Polly duo,” added Molly. “She was only fifteen, but she certainly knew how to deal with the customers.”
“In the end, that was not good for her,” said Cleo.
Gary led the way to a vacant table.
***
Polly arrived. She was a slip of a girl. At eighteen she had lost the bit of weight she had had as a schoolgirl and looked much older than her years. But she was smiling and hopeful about the job.
“Someone wants to talk to you, Polly,” said Molly.
Polly’s face clouded over. She was horrified. What if Coppins had caught up with her?
“Not Coppins, a private investigator. Miss Hartley can help girls who have gone through what you went through and hopes you’ll talk to her.”
“How do you know she just wants to talk?”
“We’ve both got a pretty good idea that things weren’t all a bed of roses for you, Polly.”
Molly poured a glass of orange juice out for the girl and led her to Cleo’s table.
“Here she is, Miss Hartley. I’ll leave you to it.”
“Who’s the man?” said Polly.
“A friend of mine, Polly. Nice to see that you are home safe and sound.”
My father sent me the fare to a post office in Great Yarmouth.”
“Is that where you’ve been living?”
“Yes, but Joseph threw me and the kid out and we had to sleep on the beach for two nights.”
“That’s terrible,” said Cleo, and Gary made a mental note of another charge Gary could bring against Coppins. He exchanged glances with Cleo.
“We had enough money for chips and a drink and I spent my last coins phoning home.”
“I’m sure your family was delighted to hear from you.”
“My Dad was. Not his wife.”
“Not your mother, Polly?”
Polly shook her head sadly.
“She’s sick, Miss Hartley. I think she’s dying.”
“So how did you get back home, Polly?”
My Dad wired money to the post office so that we could stay the night at a bed and breakfast and get home on the train yesterday.”
“Can I ask you just one more question, Polly?”
“Ask as many as you like, Miss.”
“Did Mr Coppins force you to go away with him?”
“No, Miss. He promised me a new life.”
“You got one, too, didn’t you?”
“Not the one he promised.”
“Describe your life with him, Polly.”
“I’m trying to forget it.”
“Forget what?”
“He hit me.”
“Once, or often?”
“Every time I said something he didn’t want to hear.”
“What about your child? Did he beat the child?”
“No. But he hated it and I’m glad he threw us out.”
“Was he drunk at the time?”
“Yes. He was often drunk. After we got out, we hid away so that he could not drag us back home, Miss.”
“I’m sure that was the right thing to do, Polly. And now you’re safe.”
“Won’t we have to hide?”
“No. Coppins is in prison and will be there for many years to come on a charge of murder and other charges, including his cruelty to you, Polly.”
“Did you say murder, Miss Hartley? Did he murder Jack?”
"Why would he do that, Polly?"
"Jack was my first boyfriend."
“He killed a guy having a fight with Jack.”
***
So Coppins had not only coaxed  a schoolgirl away, but had also destroyed an innocent relationship and replaced it with an illegal one.
***
“Will you come with me to Middlethumpton Police Headquarters and make a statement, telling the police everything you’ve told me?” said Cleo.
“Yes, of course.”
“Would it bother you if my friend came, too?”
“No, Miss. He looks nice. Is he a detective, too?”
“Yes, Polly.”
“I’d like to tell the police everything, Miss Hartley, Is Jack all right?”
“Yes, Polly, he is, and you can see him again soon.”
“I’ll give you a lift home, Polly,” said Gary.
“I could explain everything to your parents later,” said Cleo.
“Don’t bother, Miss Hartley. My mother’s dead and my father is married again – to the woman he had living in the guest room while my mother was still alive,” said Polly. “She should be at home with my little boy. I’ll have to get back to him because she hates him. My father will be at work.”
“You don’t like your stepmother, do you, Polly?” said Cleo.
“No. She usurped my mother,” said Polly.
“Are you accusing her of something, Polly?” said Gary.
“No Sir,” said Polly nervously. “What I meant was that she pushed my mum out. Stole my dad from my mum and her so ill.”
“Things like that happen,” said Cleo.
“Oh yes, they happen!” said the girl sharply. Cleo looked at Gary as if to say that she was uneasy about what the girl had said.
Molly came to the table to say that Polly could start working at the weekend.
“Oh, thank you so much, Molly,” the girl said, giving Molly a big hug.
“Don’t leave without eating something, even if it is only pie and salad,” said Molly.
“Pie and salad will be perfect!” said Gary.
“I suppose Ali is still making lunches at the school, is he?” said Cleo.
“Yes. You’ll have to come In the evening to get Ali’s cooking, Gary.”
“We’ll come, won’t we?” said Gary.
“You can have some of Robert’s sausages now.”
“That’s a good idea, Molly,” said Cleo. “I could eat a horse.”
“You won’t have to. We know who makes the sausages and I can vouch for the pie. Robert will be here by the time you get back from taking Polly home. He delivers on a Thursday and he always stops for an espresso. I expect you’ll want to see him, won’t you?”
Gary was not anxious to meet up with Robert.
“It’s later than I thought, Cleo. I should get back to the office when I’ve dropped Polly off home. “Can I take my lunch with me, Molly?”
”I’ll pack it up for you, Gary.”
“See you tomorrow then,” said Cleo.
“Unless…”
“I’ll see what I can do,” said Cleo.
Gary took his leave. Polly was thrilled to be driven in Gary’s lovely red sports car.
“I have guestroom, Cleo, if you ever need a place to go,” Molly whispered.
“Thanks, Molly. I’ll remember that.”
***
Robert’s face was a picture when he arrived at the pub and saw Cleo sitting at the ‘regulars’ table chatting to some of the guys whose divine right they thought it was to sit there.
Molly could not resist shouting “A surprise for you, Bob!”
“Indeed to goodness!” said Robert, on seeing Cleo and relapsing into his Welsh homeland vernacular. 
 “I’ve been talking to Polly,” Cleo explained.
“I’m sure you’ll tell me about it later,” said Robert. “I’ve got to go now. Gloria’s in a panic about getting the rump steaks cut right.”
“I’m going to the school this afternoon, Robert. See you later.”
“I’ll look forward to that!” said Robert, departing with a wave. “I’m free this afternoon, should you have time for me! Gloria is trying to run the shop single-handed for a change. I could not think of a reason to stop her.”
“Hey, that’s a married man,” said one of the regulars. “He shouldn’t be flirting. His wife will be furious. I’ve heard she’s a very dangerous woman.”
“That must be his other wife,” said Cleo.
“You mean he’s got two?”
“The wife I know is a kind, soft-hearted person.”
“Well I never!”
Molly came over to the table.
“Jim, you know who this is, don't you?”
“Who is it, then?”
“It’s Robert Jones’s wife.”
Everyone else at the table laughed heartily while Jim looked perplexed. Cleo wasn’t exactly average looking for the neighbourhood, and most of them knew exactly who she was.
“Where’ve you been hiding, Jim?” one of the others asked. “Don’t mind Jim, Mrs Jones. He’s a bit soft in the head.”
Since saying she wasn’t Mrs Jones but still Miss Hartley would have caused even more confusion, Cleo didn’t correct them. They insisted on buying her a drink.
“Thanks, guys, but just one very short short, Molly,” she called, and Molly winked knowingly.
Behind the counter she poured about 3 drops of gin into a glass and topped it up with a lot of tonic water. She was sure that’s what Cleo had meant.
“Here’s your gin, dear,” she said, nodding at Cleo.
“Down the hatch!” said Cleo raising her glass. She proceeded to drink the contents in one go and the men around the table looked at her in amazement. Only midday and she was knocking the gin back. Did Robert know his wife was a tippler?
Cleo got up and smiled benignly.
“I’ll be on my way now. Have a nice day, you guys!” she said, and one of them called
“Don’t drive, dear. You’re not fit for it!”
“I’m used to it,” said Cleo.
Molly enlightened them.
“We just played a joke on you. There were only three drops of gin in that glass. The rest was tonic water.”
Now it was Jim’s turn to laugh.
“Cut along now, boys. It’s time for my siesta,” Molly commanded.
Although the humorous interlude at the Huddle Inn had done Cleo good, it could not raise her spirits for very long. What she had to do next was going to be extremely difficult, especially as she had not been able to reach Dorothy and could only hope that she was helping out at the school. Cleo also wanted Gary to be there. She could hardly leave him out of the critical talk she was going to have with Jessie.
Gary said he was on his way. He no longer commented that it had better not turn out to be a wild goose chase. The guy’s learning, thought Cleo.
***
Driving along the bumpy road between the pub and the school, she was distracted when she met Ali bicycling towards her. He looked disgruntled. Cleo wondered why, stopped the car and opened her window to talk to him. She wondered if Dorothy had warned him about the arsenic in Mrs Oldfield’s body.
“You look a bit fed up, Ali,” she called.
“I am! Have you ever worked together with a deprived spinster and a nymphomaniac?”
“Dorothy is not deprived, Ali, and I’m not interested in women.”
“I don’t mean Dorothy. I mean frustrated with that dreadful housekeeper and twit of a girl.”
“She is not as stupid as she makes out, Ali.”
“You could have fooled me. That girl, Jessie, has been making eyes at me and her necklines and skirts were shorter than ever today. She has decided to seduce me.”
“I wouldn't put it past her, but at least she's not thinking of poisoning you!"
"Poisoning me? Is that what your Dr Watson meant?"
"I think she has more features of Holmes than Watson, Ali!”
"She dropped a hint about arsenic. I thought she was targeting Mrs Baines. Now that's an old cow if ever there was one."
“Take it all in your stride, Ali, and don't be hard on Jessie. She’s still suffering from shock at the death of the guy she thought was her boyfriend. She has to get over seeing her father kill him.”
 “What kind of a father does a thing like that? Are you sure?”
“We think that’s what happened.”
“Who’s we?”
“Me, Dorothy and a friendly cop.”
"Do you mean that Hurley guy?"
"Do you know him?"
"You pick up quite a lot of gossip when you live with a woman like Molly."
"What kind of gossip?"
"That the Hurley guy goes in and out of your cottage, for instance."
"He doesn't do that, Ali."
Cleo was genuinely shocked that there was gossip about her and a bit angry with Molly for saying that sort of thing. Whose side was Molly on? Robert was possessive and having gossip getting around that she was carrying on with Gary would be making mischief.
“I’d get better back to the pub now,” said Ali. “Siesta time. I wouldn’t like to miss it.”
“Have fun!” she called after him.
“I’ll try,” Ali called back.


No comments:

Post a Comment