Useful quote:

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except the best. - Henry van Dyke, poet (1852-1933)

29 Nov 2015

Episode 12 - Gary

Tuesday cont.


Gary had recovered enough after two hours pacing the streets to get back to his office and call Cleo.
***
“Have you got a minute?” he started.
“Sure, Gary.”
Dorothy went into the utility room.
Cleo switched on the speakers.
Dorothy did not want Gary to know she was there, but listened in to the phone-call with increasing irritation
“Has Chris called you?”
“Yes.”
“So you know about Sybil.”
“Yes.”
Dorothy was glad Cleo was not making it easy for Gary.
“Did you know she was murdered.”
“Yes. Chris told me. He thought you might prefer not to.”
“She was strangled and found in a store-cupboard where cleaners keep their stuff.”
Gary sounded repulsed.
“Poor woman.”
“Poor woman, my eye,” Gary snapped. “She was dressed as a hooker and more than likely in that hotel to have paid sex with a client. Why else would she go there?”
“Why are you angry, Gary? You knew she was a hooker when you started dating her.”
“That was Sybil’s past life. She wanted to go straight for her daughter’s sake.”
“She did go straight for a short time, as Sybil.   But after that she led a double life as Moira.”
“Many women lead a double life. I’m surprised that you are surprised.”
“Do you lead a double life, Cleo?”
“I don’t know if anyone else is haunting my mind and sharing my body, but what do I have to do with it? What does a hooker’s murder have to do with me? Are you comparing us?”
“I mean living with Robert and seeing someone else on the side.”
“You must be joking to compare that with dating a has-been hooker to keep up the illusion of having a girlfriend.”
“Sybil was not a hooker.”
“Moira in Sybil’s body was, Gary, and you knew it even if she didn’t.”
“You should have warned me,” said Gary.
“If pigs could fly,” retorted Cleo.
“I’m not joking. I’m really talking about us, Cleo.”
“Did you think I would not understand? You are trying it on with me, Gary.”
“I’m not trying it on. I’m trying to find out why she did what she did.”
***
Dorothy was amazed. This was the first time on record that Gary had wanted to know more about the motive for doing something. He was not aware that she was listening in, of course, but Cleo was aware of that.
“I know why,” said Cleo.
“Tell me. No punches barred.”
“Because you are a skunk with women,” said Cleo, and Gary’s sharp, audible intake of breath confirmed that she had hit the spot.
“You treat us as lust objects or tools, useful round the house but not on your level.”
“No, I don’t. I love women.”
“Correction; you only love yourself, Gary.”
“That’s not true and you know it.”
“Have you thought for one minute what it’s like to want to change things, lead a normal life, to be a normal parent, Gary? That’s what Sybil wanted, no more, no less.”
“You are defending a hooker, Cleo.”
“Wrong, Gary. I am defending a woman who has been abused by men ever since she ran away from home, with the possible exception of the time she spent with her parents after she lost Anna.”
“But she farmed her kid out to Edith.”
“That was supposed to be temporary while she got a job and somewhere to live with her little girl.”
“But she had done all that.”
“No, she hadn’t. Not really. She had not convinced herself.  She cared enough about you to be with you until one day she woke up to the fact that you didn’t really care. You liked having an experienced woman in your bed, but you were not emotionally involved.”
“I was.”
“Did you show her that?”
“I don’t know. Yes. No. How could I? I could only make love to her if I pretended to myself that it was you.”
“Then get a rubber doll, Gary. That way you won’t hurt anyone. Sybil solved the problem by inventing a dual personality that went out and got paid for her TLC.”
***
Cleo could hear Gary’s sharp intake of breath and the sob that escaped from his throat, but she pressed on. Gary had asked for the truth and he was getting it.
“The point is that what you offered her emotionally was no more than her clients had done in her previous life, and they paid for her services. So she went back to being appreciated that way.”
“I don’t believe you.”
“You’d better. I spent years studying the psychology of relationships and why they break down. I assure you that what I’m saying is what happened.”
“I assume your psychology course did not include murder.”
“It did.”
“So why didn’t you tell me all this and warn me?”
“Warn you?”
“Warn me off getting involved with a former prostitute.”
“You would have laughed the way you ridicule my efforts as a private sleuth, Gary.”
Dorothy nodded. At last Gary was getting to hear the truth. He had not known that they were aware of his low opinion of the agency.
“Do I do that?”
“You only come to me in desperation.”
“And you find it convenient being able to use police resources, Cleo.”
“I think this is stalemate, Gary. Call again when you have something useful to say.”
***
Cleo slammed the phone down to end the humiliating slanging match. It was below the belt and she knew it. She was furious: with herself, with Gary, with everything. Sybil was dead and not a single word of grief or sadness had she been able to detect in Gary’s voice. He was a selfish bastard, not the cruelly treated hero he thought he embodied.
Why did she love that guy?
“I’m dropping cooperation with him,” she told Dorothy. “I’ve never been so disgusted with anyone.”
“Calling him a skunk was not nice, Cleo.”
“It had to be done. Waking him up to his problems is the only way forward.”
There were tears in Cleo’s eyes. She could not help telling Dorothy that she liked Gary most of the time, loved him all the time, and relied on his help as much as he relied on hers.
“If you could stop the love thing between you, it would help,” said Dorothy, and Cleo looked startled.
“So you knew all about it,” she said.
“Gary told me, Cleo. He is out of his depth emotionally; he is been forced to take up with other women to keep up appearances when the only woman he wants is you. I think many men take up with other women or even with prostitutes because it does not commit them to anything.”
“Talk about motives, Dorothy! What can I do with myself? I’m destroying someone I love the way I’ve never loved before. ”
“I wish I had the answer, but I don’t think I even have the right to have one. I’m playing for both sides, but I’m not a mediator, Cleo.”
“I think I’m going to have to close down the agency, Dorothy.”
“Not before you’ve dealt with the business in hand.”
“OK. You’re right there. We’ll drink more coffee, slice up that gorgeous bread you just happened to have baked, and then get to the school.”
***
“Let’s not talk any more about Gary, Cleo. You seem to be getting deeper and deeper into the brine. I’ll cover for you when you want to be with him, but otherwise, I will stay neutral.”
Cleo put her arms around Dorothy and thanked her.
***
It was difficult to shake off that drastic phone call with Gary, but Cleo had phoned Mrs Baines to say that they would be on their way there soon. Before they could leave the office, however, another phone-call came from Chris. The speakers were still on so Dorothy could listen in. She cleared up in the utility room kitchen as she did so, but her mind was alert to what Chris had to say.
“I’m on the way home to bed,” he told Cleo. “I was in the lab all night and at the hotel till now.”
“Get a good rest, Chris. I’m sure you’ve more than earned it.”
“Did Gary call?”
“He did and he was expecting you to have told me.”
“Why does that guy leave the dirty work to others?”
“I don’t know, but I tore such a large strip off him for his attitude to Sybil and women in general that I think the scowl on his face will get stuck there.”
“Your words will have hit him harder than Sybil’s death, or is it Moira’s, knowing how he feels about you.”
“So you’re someone else who knows, are you Chris?”
“I am, Cleo,” said Chris. “Gary has never said anything concrete, but I think he latched on to Sybil to distract himself from his feelings for you.”
“I didn’t know a man could understand so well.”
“Some men can. It’s not a good idea to generalize.”
“I agree, Chris. I’ll have to find a way to make it up to Gary. I have really hurt him and now I’m sorry.”
“Go to him. What’s stopping you?”
“I’m married, Chris.”
“To the wrong guy, if I may say so. I watched you at that supper, Cleo. Robert likes having you around, but that’s not love.”
“How do you know that?”
“You are not the only one into psychology, Cleo.”
“Point taken. Moira alias Sybil’s murder was a tragedy waiting to happen.”
“Yes,” said Chris. “I often wonder why more prostitutes don’t get killed in the line of duty.”
***
“How did you get on at the hotel? Surely you have nothing binding already from this morning’s hiatus!”
“I’m going to email you what I have so far, which isn’t much yet. I’ll have to find out if she was drugged, for instance. I’ll include the latest on the Oldfield killing, too. I don’t suppose you’ve had that data from Gary.”
“No. He’s quick to demand attention and slow to award it,” said Cleo bitterly.
“He’s been sitting on that information since Friday, blast him.”
“Thanks, Chris.”
“The details are the results of investigating the school, the priory crypt, and all the fingerprints of various ‘contributors’. You’re in for one or two surprises!”
“I can’t wait!”
“I’m also sending you the result of the blood tests on Mrs Oldfield. You should have had it before now.”
“That is extremely annoying. A little bird tells me that our favourite Chief Inspector wants to get concrete results himself before having to include my agency.”
“That’s really mean of him because you are involved anyway, Cleo.”
“Gary would like to think I’m not and I’m going to close this place down soon so that he can’t do that anymore.”
“Don’t spoil a good thing, Cleo. You are involved, of course, and on record more successful at getting things done than he is. Everyone knows that.”
“That’s what’s bugging him, I think, though he’s glad when someone does the work for him. How the hell Gary got off the beat is what I’d like to know.”
“Peter’s principle. He was a first rate bobby, but people get promoted until they are in a job they can’t do, especially if admin is involved,” said Chris.
“But I can’t keep helping him if he doesn’t make an effort himself, Chris.”
“He might not be able to make that effort. He’s emotionally all snarled up, Cleo.”
“Come to dinner tonight, Chris, then we can talk some more.”
“May I bring someone?”
“Sure. I’ll phone Robert and he’ll produce something scrumptious for us.”
“Thanks!”
“Good night, Chris!”
***
“Good night?” Dorothy repeated, when Cleo had put the phone down.
“Chris has been working all night and on Moira’s murder this morning, so he’s tired and needs a good night’s sleep, even if it late morning.. Come to dinner too, Dorothy. He’ll be there and is and he’s bringing someone. The more the merrier.”
“What a good idea!”
Cleo phoned Robert at the shop and said they would be 5 for dinner.
“Six,” said Robert. “I’ve just invited your mother. She says she's too busy to cook.”
“Well, why not? I’m glad you get on so well with your garrulous assistant.”
Robert laughed heartily, but could not resist asking who was coming.
 “Not Gary. Chris.”
“Good.”
“I gave Gary a piece of my mind this morning.”
“Which piece?”
“The get stuffed piece.”
“I’m impressed – and relieved!”
Why relieved?”
“Less stress,” said Robert.
“I’m going to the school with Dorothy now."
"Don’t drink or eat anything! Better safe than sorry.”
***
Next, and without consulting Dorothy beforehand, Cleo phoned Mrs Baines and told her that she had a client and would come later. Then, to Dorothy’s surprise, she phoned Gary and said she was on the way to Romano’s. Could he please meet her there?”
Dorothy announced that she would go to the school by herself. Cleo told her she might have to. Dorothy was perplexed.
***
Half an hour later, Cleo let herself into Romano’s apartment and went into the bedroom. Gary was lying face down and motionless on the bed. Cleo lay down next to him and put her arms round him. He turned to her and buried his face on her breast. They lay like that for an hour, wordless and motionless.
Finally Cleo stroked across his forehead with a finger. After a while Gary opened his eyes and smiled at her. She smiled back.
“Forgive me,” he said.
“I should be saying that,” said Cleo. “I’m so sorry for the terrible things I said.”
“Most of them were true.”
“But I had no right to say them.”
“You had every right,” said Gary. “You are my wife, after all.”
“Not yet Gary, and our dialogue now is worse than the worst soap opera.”
“Does it matter?”
“Not really. Your hands are cold.”
“I could use some of your warmth, Cleo.”
“So what’s stopping you?”
“You might not want to get mixed up with someone who was friendly with a hooker, but I swear I didn’t go near her when she was Moira, and I only felt protective of Sybil. Nothing more.”
“I’m not asking you to swear anything, Gary. I came because you need me.”
“Can you stay for a bit?”
“Sure. I need you, too.” Je t’aime, Mr Hurley.”
“Moi aussi, Miss Hartley. »
***
Cleo did not get back to her cottage until late afternoon. She phoned Dorothy and Dorothy said she would come immediately. She had  told Mrs Baines that they might have to postpone their visit.
“You could have gone alone, Dorothy.”
“What happened to you, Cleo?”
“We lay on Romano’s guest bed for a long time. I’ve never seen Gary so upset and I was responsible, at least in part. I felt more like his grandmother, at least for the first hour. But he was also suffering from shock, Dorothy. I had to go to him.”
“You did the right thing, Cleo. You don’t need to justify yourself.”
“I don’t think I need to with you, Dorothy. I can’t really understand myself, let alone justify leaving Gary to his own devices. He looked suicidal, Dorothy. I would never have forgiven myself if I had driven him to such lengths.”
“But he didn’t Cleo. You went to him and pulled him back.”
“I hope I did,” said Cleo.
“Let’s read Chris’s report on the school now,” said Dorothy. “There might be something in there that we need to know before we go there.”
***
Cleo realized that it was time to move on. She could not beleaguer Dorothy with her emotions all the time.
“You’re so right!” she agreed. “Chris said we’d be surprised so I’m sure we will. He was quite excited about the findings. I’ll print them out twice, shall I?”
Each for herself, they read the contents of the various reports with increasing incredulity.
“Mrs Oldfield was poisoned with arsenic consumed over several weeks,” Dorothy read aloud.
“That means it could have been suicide, Dorothy. But she was given a killer dose that morning and died very quickly.”
“It sounds to me like premeditated, cold-blooded murder,” said Dorothy. “There are much better ways of committing suicide. I don’t believe for one minute that Mrs Oldfield knew there was a build-up of arsenic in her body.”
 “So it was someone close enough not to have aroused suspicion,” said Cleo. “There’s a note here that Chris used a water test. I’ve no idea what that is. I’ll look it up on the web. It’s not the only thing I don’t know about arsenic.”
***
After some minutes Cleo read out that you could put arsenic in any food or drink without it being detected. She would spare them the chemical nitty-gritty. All the testing was about chemical reactions.
“So it could have been anybody close enough to get at her food or drink regularly,” said Dorothy. “That narrows the field considerably.”
“It could just be a desperate person working towards the death of Mrs Oldfield, watching her survive but complaining of feeling unwell after getting a smaller dose of the deadly drug over a period of several weeks,” said Cleo.
“But whoever it was, was  in a hurry,” said Dorothy, “hence that mammoth dose that was bound to kill Mrs Oldfield in one go.“
“I think that whoever poisoned the cook must have known exactly what arsenic does when given in small doses,” said Cleo. “That sort of cunning is usually a woman’s work.”
“But that person became impatient.”
Dorothy shuddered. The more they talked about it, the more terrible did the crime become.
“The best bit of trivia about arsenic is the information that it used to be called the ‘inheritance powder’ in France, presumably because it was the best method of disposing of unwanted relatives,” said Cleo.
“Or getting someone’s job?”
“Which points to Jessie,” said Cleo.
“But where would she get arsenic from?”
“Chris says that the reason the arsenic was detected so fast was indeed a massive dose Mrs Oldfield took the day she died. Otherwise she would have had symptoms like in food-poisoning, alopecia and so on for quite some time rather than falling into a coma as she did before dying.”
“That confirms what I remember from one movie. In that movie slow arsenic poisoning included symptoms like those of Malaria,” said Dorothy. “I wonder if Mrs Oldfield consulted a doctor about milder symptoms.”
“Probably not. Or the doctor told her to take aspirin and not to drink tap-water."
“Aren’t you confusing that with lead poisoning, Cleo? That’s apparently what led to the fall of Rome.”
“We could find out.”
"Only if her doctor is prepared to break his vow of confidentiality," said Dorothy. “And I don’t think Dr Mitchell would do that.”
“Assuming he was her doctor,” said Cleo.
“He’s everyone’s doctor round here,” said Dorothy.
“That business of confidentiality is tricky in criminal cases, of course. Not even the police can force a doctor to reveal facts about his patients."
“But surely  he can be ordered to by a judge if there is sufficient justification,” said Dorothy.
“I don’t think we should reveal the true cause of Mrs Oldfield’s death right now,” said Cleo. “Anything that could warn an offender should be avoided.”
“That would include Mrs Baines, of course.”
“Making her a suspect.”
 “She’s certainly have opportunity, Cleo. I think she’s in charge of the coffee machine.”
“What about Jessie, Dorothy? If she has a normal or even above-average IQ, she could well have worked out the murder plot. Being classed a nitwit has its uses.”
“Whoever decided Mrs Oldfield had to go, chose a relatively easy method, except that panic seems to have taken over at the end,” said Dorothy..
“So let’s think! What else can you use arsenic for, apart from poisoning unwanted persons?” said Cleo.
“What about insecticides is? I didn’t read the labels on mine, for a long time, but should have done. I use non-poisonous ones now,” said Dorothy.
Cleo looked for a website on gardening, which she eventually bookmarked for future reference.
“Right in one! According to this website, gardeners definitely have access to it.”
“Tom Crowe was a gardener,” said Dorothy. “What if...?
“I don’t suppose he gets in the kitchen very often. But what if someone else accessed that supply? Jessie or Mrs Oldfield, or that rabble-raiser girl who constantly complained about the food?”
“It doesn’t bear thinking about. What if Jessie is guilty after all and tries to poison Ali with the same motivation?” said Dorothy-
“We’d better get moving, Dorothy. We’ll have to warn him before anything happens.”
"Or get Jessie away, if it isn't too late."
"It's only his third day at the school, Dorothy. If Jessie is in the poison game, she's probably still weighing up her options - and she has said she no longer wants Mrs Oldfield's job."
"I don't believe her. She's half way there,” said Dorothy. “She won't give up now."
***
 “I’m more and more  convinced that it was Jessie, ” said Dorothy on the drive to the school.
“So am I, but how do we get her to own up?”
“Not by questioning her straight on.”
“She’s had time to dispose of any evidence,” said Cleo. “If she had the criminal energy to administer poison for weeks and weeks to someone, she’ll certainly have had enough momentum to cover her tracks after giving the poor woman a lethal dose. We need to think about Jessie’s character, Dorothy. What makes her tick?”
“She is not as brainless as she would have us think, so let’s start with that incident in the crypt. Do you think she was forced to go there by her father? Wasn’t he taking a big risk staying around?”
“I think he was sure Jessie would not tell on him because she was scared of him. One big question is whether Coppins himself was involved in the Oldfield killing,” said Cleo. “That’s why I think it’s important to focus on all the Coppins clan and in particular get Jessie to tell us what happened that night. If you ask me, he is involved in all the crimes we are investigating.”
“Do you think Jessie knows where he is now and is too scared to tell?”
“I wouldn’t be at all surprised, Dorothy.”
“So why is Jessie so scared? She could turn him in.”
“When we know what motivated Jessie, we’ll be a lot nearer knowing the truth, Dorothy.”
“Who would have thought such an uneducated girl could be capable of even one monstrous act!” said Dorothy.
“Since she has proved to you that she is far from stupid, we will have to change our approach. I’m going to phone Greg, Dorothy. He may have some new ideas.”
Greg Winter was most enthusiastic about what Cleo wanted to do.
“Between you and me, Cleo, Gary Hurley’s has too much private stress at the moment.”
“Which stress do you mean, Greg?”
“Haven’t you heard about Sybil?”
“Of course, but Gary is not subject to romantic breakdowns.”
“He’s had one now.”
“Do they know who killed her?”
“They think it was the guy she met in a bar. She went with him to the hotel and that’s where they found her.”
“The problem is that I’m at loggerheads with, Gary Greg. We had a big quarrel about Sybil’s death. I’m afraid I blamed him for neglecting her.”
“He probably did, but not because he didn’t care about her. His affections are locked in elsewhere, Cleo, and we both know where.”
“I supposed you notice everything, don’t you.”
“I try.”
“I noticed how observant you are and I’d like you to spend the night with me, Greg.”
“What the hell....”
“I put that badly. Dorothy Price will be there as well.”
“A cosy threesome with an old lady and a newly-wed?”
“In a dark place.”
“You’ve really got me now,” said Greg.
“I’m pulling your leg, Greg.”
“Pull the other one. I’m out of my depth.”
“OK. The dark place is the Monkton Priory crypt, and the idea is to spend a night observing whether a guy with murky morals sleeps there.”
“Is this connected with the other incident?”
“I think so. The guy has been missing for ages, but I’m sure that he is back around here somewhere. Chris found evidence of him having been in several places connected with the present run on crime here.”
“Why doesn’t he just go home, assuming he has a family?”
“I don’t think he’s welcome there. Do you have time tonight?”
“What time do you need me?
“Midnight, would be good. By then no one is around, even couples looking for a private place.  Can you drive to Dorothy Price’s house? We should go on foot from there.”
“That won’t make it easy to arrest anyone.”
“We can cross that bridge when we come to it, Greg.”
“OK. Should I come in uniform?”
“Better not, but bring some handcuffs. If we do catch the guy, I’d really like to turn him in.”
“On what charge?”
“Desertion, withdrawal of alimony from his dependents, and possibly murder. In fact, I’m acting for his son, who would love to have him back, so it’s a Hartley Agency job.”
“I’ll bring cuffs, sign for a gun and register the activity as official and dangerous, Cleo. That’s better for the insurance. Gary won’t find out until tomorrow. By then it'll be over, and if we’re lucky the guy will be in the bag.”
“I hope you are right, Greg.”
The evening flew by. Robert was again out at some  sporting even or other, though she would have liked him to help in this action. Cleo reread all the reports Chris had sent. The most extraordinary finding was the comparison of finger prints.
Joseph Coppins had been at the school, probably on the day of the murder. He had also been in the crypt, as his daughter had admitted, and which had given Chris new prints to compare, and – most damning of all – a thumb print was found on the knife that had stabbed Tom Crowe.
***
When Robert came home from his match, beaming because he was on the road to becoming county champion, he was greeted by a jubilant Cleo. He had brought a tray of T-bone steaks and several fresh sweet corn cobs to cook for the guests.
“What are you going to do with all that? Did Gloria baby-sit the shop if you match was this afternoon?”
“I did tell you, but you weren’t listening.”
“Sorry.”
“We have a dinner party in exactly one hour, Cleo. Have you forgotten?”
“Oh my goodness! The dinner party!”
“Has something happened?”
Cleo did not mention Sybil’s fate.
“I’ve arranged for Greg Winter to meet us at Dorothy’s at Midnight. We’re going to the crypt to watch out for Coppins.”
“Do I know Greg Winter?”
“He’s the patrol cop who isn’t afraid of ghosts and is the only one who could match you in stature.”
“Did Gary arrange that?”
“No. I‘m not going to consult Gary in future.”
“I can’t say I’m sorry, Cleo, but what will that mean for the agency?”
“I’ve no idea. I’ll take it day by day and see what happens. My first priority is to see Mrs Oldfield’s murderer behind bars and I think Coppins is involved.”
“What about Jessie?”
“She’s in deep, muddy water, Robert.”
“So what do we do with the dinner party?”
“Go ahead with it. Chris will understand and maybe decide to join us in our tryst at the crypt, Gloria will have to make do, and Dorothy knows all about our need to catch Coppins as soon as possible.”
“Why doesn’t Gary look for him?”
“That’s what I keep asking myself.”
***
While Cleo was making notes to gain more clarity in her thinking, Dorothy had left the crime world for an hour or two and was at St Peter’s waiting for Mr Morgan to arrive after he had phoned and said he was in a traffic jam. Eventually his little black old-timer chugged up the drive and he hurried into the church.
“Nice to see you again, Miss Price.”
“Thank you for coming Mr Morgan. Have you considered our offer?”
The ‘our’ was not strictly true. The vicar knew nothing about their meeting and had no idea that Dorothy was planning to give Mr Morgan the job if he wanted it.
“Yes, Miss Price, and I’ll take it.”
“I am relieved. You are such a good organist, Mr Morgan.”
“Where can I live?”
“I’ve solved that problem, but Delilah Browne will let you lodge in one of the guest rooms at the bistro.”
“Can I afford it?”
“Of course. You’ll have plenty of money to spare, Mr Morgan. You can lodge at my cottage for a week or two first because Mitch – that’s Delilah’s boyfriend – is going to renovate the room for you.”
“And I won’t have to do that myself?”
“No. You can save your hands for your organ-playing.”
“I don’t know how to thank you, Miss Price. It’s been hell with my mother. She’s a fusspot and she doesn’t like my jeans.”
“We all get like that as we get older, Mr Morgan, though personally I think the jeans look good.”
“Thank you. When can I start?”
“When can you come?”
“I’ll have to go back to Wales for my clothes and music scores.”
“Can you be here for the service next Sunday?” Dorothy asked him. “You could come secretly on Saturday and then surprise everyone.”
“I’d like that, Miss Price.”
“You can park your car in front of my cottage and you can play my piano if you want to.”
“It sounds like paradise! Can I just have a little tinkle on the organ now?”
“Better not, Mr Morgan. Edith might hear you and come over,. That would spoil our surprise. I hope she hasn’t seen your car.”
“She can’t have. She would come over if she had.”
“Or she is too shy, Mr Morgan.”
“You’re right. I’ll get going now. Thank you again.”
Mr Morgan opened his music satchel and took out a tiny box of chocolates.
“These are for you, Miss Price. I hope you’ll enjoy them.”
“I’m sure I will. Thank you for coming to the rescue.”
"Rescue?"
"I mean taking the job, Mr Morgan!"
"Don't mention it, Miss Price."
Mr Morgan, himself overcome by his own generosity, backed his car precariously down the church drive, revved up as if he were driving a Ferrari, and bowled down the road.
Mr Morgan had the whole journey back Wales via country roads to consider how he was going to break the news to his mother. There would be another tearful scene and she would wail bitterly that he was leaving her. But he was coming back to his beloved old organ at St Peter’s. They would stump up the cash to renovate the instrument and best of all he would be near Edith – or was it her twin sister Clare he had last been partial to?
***
All the dinner guests arrived punctually for seven. Robert had cooked dinner and Cleo had tidied up and laid the table. Gloria had been to the off-licence, as instructed by Robert, and arrived back  bearing a couple of bottles of sturdy Catalonian red wine. Dorothy arrived bearing an apple strudel she said she had merely ‘knocked up’, and finally Chris arrived with Jenny Smith.
Robert was quite surprised to see Chris with Jenny. Cleo and Dorothy had suspected it for some time, although Cleo thought he would turn up with a guy. Maybe he was partial to both genders.


No comments:

Post a Comment